Saturday, November 17, 2007

Visit to Japanland

I was in Fukuoka this weekend on a Visa Run. For those who dont know, I didnt enter Korea with a work visa, so I had to leave the country and pick one up, then re enter to get the visa activated. There is a ferry boat that goes from Busan to Fukuoka. Now, upon arrival at the ferry terminal here in Busan, I was expecting a pretty large ferry. The boat, it turns out, is tiny, but its quick. It will only take 3 hours. On the ferry I met a hardy group of English teachers. Dave and Lisa from NZ, Kirsten from England, Micah from the US (non annoying american finally!) and Jen, who was Canadian but was born in Serbia. We instantly got along, and excitement mounted when we found out we were all staying in the same hotel. Sweet. We get off the boat in Japan, and instantly im taken back into the Japanese mindset. Suddenly everything is clean and modern and everyone is polite. Nice.

We head to the colsulate and put in our application forms and then take the subway to the hotel. Upon check in we meet up back in the lobby and head out for drinks and food. Many many hours and a waaaayyyy too much beer and sake later we get back to the hotel. Although I spent about $100 bucks that night, it was well worth it to meet some new friends. The next day Jen and I rode back to Korea together on the Ferry since we both had the same departure. Problem was that the sea was rough that day. Really rough. Boy did I get a bad bout of sea sickness. First time ever! The previous night was catching up to me.

All in all, it was a good trip. I figured that Id be depressed coming back to Korea after being in Japanland again. Japan is, after all, about twice as awesome as Korea. But actually it was alright coming back. I had a strong sense of returning home. Maybe im finally settling in here?!

No comments:

 
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites