Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Yokohama


I went over to Yokohama on my last day off. Its about an hours train ride from Tokyo. Now, Yokohama is a pretty cool place, but the first thing I noticed when I got there was that the giant ferris wheel on the waterfront (second largest in the world I think) has a super big, ugly digital clock on it. It instantly reminded me of this little gag from an old Simpsons episode when they go to a future London and Big Ben as a giant digital clock plastered on top of it.

Yokohama reminded me of Halifax in this weird way. A seaside city, more low key than Tokyo (on second though, any other place on Earth is more low key than Tokyo). Shipping docks, some red brick buildings on the waterfront. The downtown of the city felt very North American, more so than any other place Ive been in Japan. I could sorta mentally pretend I was back in Canada...until I found Chinatown.

Yokohama Chinatown is the largest one in Japan. Walking around it was surreal. Like everything in Japan, they took the concept of Chinatown and made it Japanese...namingly clean and organized. It was like Disneyland. New looking shiny buildings, resturants and jewelry stores, all at tourist prices. Nice place though, fun to cruise around. I got some good snaps.

No comments:

 
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites