Thursday, December 13, 2007

Korean Phones

They do things a bit differently here in Korea than they do in Japan. Actually, alot differently. When I lived in Tokyo, getting a cell phone was an insanely complex process of forms, plans, getting people to translate, required documents, contracts, choosing from about 200 different phones, english menus. With the help of my korean friend Daniel, I ventured out to find a phone for the lowest possible price. I needed only a basic basic phone since I just wanted to send txt messages with it. We hit a couple of stores, hole in the wall kind of places. I settle on a $50 used phone, no idea where it came from. There is no form, nothing, they just pony up the phone and away I go. When I need to recharge credit i just go back into the shop and hand them a $10 bill and they do the rest.

Japanese phones were a marvel of technology and complexity, but theres something to be said for an under the table simple phone. Sometimes ass backwards countries have their benefits.

No comments:

 
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites