Thursday, October 18, 2007

My new boss

When you count the stopovers, I spent 30 hours traveling between Toronto and Busan. Thats a whole lot of travel time. By the time I arrived at Busan airport I was completely exhausted, and really really wanted to get some food and a bed. Andy, my new boss and assistant director of my school, had made arrangements to be there at the airport to pick me up. As I walked out of the baggage pickup I hear "Wer, Wer, oba here! Come this way"

Andy is a small man with an extremely strange way of dressing...When I first saw him that day he was wearing a ironed silk shirt and what im sure were pajama bottoms as pants. He also had black dress shoes on. After greeting me, he lead me to the parking lot and to his car. I should point out that at this point I had expected to have a couple of days decompression after such a long journey, so when I got into his car and saw a stack of teaching books with a "Wills new schedule" note written on top, I was worried. Immediately, Andy started in on how I would have to teach the next morning, from a completely new book that I had never seen before, and that I had to look presentable to the students since it was the first day....AND I had to do it at 7AM.

I almost jumped ship right there and headed back to the airport.

My relationship with Andy was off to a bad start, but over the days, and now weeks, its definitely improved. Aside from day 1, he has been, at the very least fair to me...something I find rare in a boss. Andy speaks really really really really fast in english, and uses about 50 more words per sentence than are needed. A typical Andy sentence goes like this:

"And so, um, like what, so, you should um, like, try to and meeting up with Robin, she new teacher and um, you should meet up with her, and um, and like what and I think you should try to find out and like what to teach for lesson today and like what she should make a new lesson plan for you and making the new plan, this good for you, this ok Will."

Which translates to:

Get Robin to help you with the new lesson plan."

After a couple of weeks with Andy, I gradually figured out how to filter out what he was saying to get to the bottom of things. The hilarious thing is that my new students have actually told me "Oh Andy, his english is so good right??" "I love the way he speaks, its easy for me to understand."

No comments:

 
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites