Saturday, March 31, 2007

How big is Tokyo?

I was talking to a friend from back home on the phone the other day, and I had an interesting time trying to describe Tokyo to him. "You can't just look at pictures of it to understand it, you've gotta see it in motion", I told him. Tokyo is a city that stretches on forever. Just when you think you've reached the edge, it somehow keeps on going. Ive lived here for months and Ive seen maybe 5% of it. Its not so much the land mass of it, its the density. For example, 35 million people live in Tokyo and the surronding cities (GTA-Greater Tokyo Area). That would be like taking the entire population of Canada, all the apartment and office buildings, all the houses, all the roads, power lines, all the towns, cities, and roughly half of the cars, and packing them into an area slightly larger than the size of Toronto.

To some, this might sound scary, but you get used to it. There are two main things that are annoying about living out here actually. There are no trees anywhere, and the trains stop running at 12.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT IS UP WITH THE EARLY TRAINS!!! They used to stop at 11:45 on my line...even on the weekends...I had to run my ass off many a time. I am suprised that it is so early in Tokyo as well though....I am glad my city had lots of greenspace though...

Caroline

mcdoug said...

Yah, your city does have more greenspace. Lots more. Tokyo has lots of greenspace to, but its made out of concrete...I live in the concrete jungle.

 
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites